Full Name: Boris Yeltsin
Profession: Russian President
Why Famous: Soviet and Russian politician who was the 1st President of the Russian Federation, serving from 1991 to 1999.
- 1956-09-28 Russian President Boris Yeltsin (25) weds Naina Girina (24)
- 1989-03-26 1st free elections in USSR; 190 million votes cast; Boris Yeltsin wins
- 1990-05-29 Boris Yeltsin is elected President of the Russian Republic
- 1990-07-12 Boris Yeltsin quits the Soviet Communist Party
- 1991-06-16 Boris Yeltsin elected President of Russian SSR
- 1991-06-18 Boris Yeltsin, President of Russia, arrives in US
- 1991-07-10 Boris Yeltsin sworn in as 1st elected President of the Russian Federation
- 1991-08-21 Conservative coup in the Soviet Union is crushed by popular resistance led by Boris Yeltsin in three days
- 1991-11-06 Russian President Boris Yeltsin outlaws Communist Party
- 1991-12-19 Boris Yeltsin takes control of the Kremlin
- 1993-01-03 In Moscow, the Start II arms reduction treaty is signed by George H. W. Bush (USA) and Boris Yeltsin (Russia)
- 1993-04-25 Russia elects Boris Yeltsin leader
- 1993-09-22 Supreme Soviet dismisses President Boris Yeltsin
- 1993-10-03 Boris Yeltsin declares state of emergency in Moscow
- 1997-05-27 Russian President Boris Yeltsin signs a historic treaty with NATO
- 1999-08-09 Russian President Boris Yeltsin fires his Prime Minister, Sergei Stepashin, and for the fourth time fires his entire cabinet.
- 1999-12-31 Boris Yeltsin resigns as President of Russia, leaving Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as acting President.
- 2007-04-25 Boris Yeltsin's funeral - the first to be sanctioned by the Russian Orthodox Church for a head of state since the funeral of Emperor Alexander III in 1894.