Full Name: Charles de Gaulle
Profession: French President
Why Famous: Free French leader in World War II. Famous for saying 'non' to Britain's entry to the European Common Market.
- 1921-04-07 French president Charles de Gaulle (30) weds Yvonne Vendroux (20)
- 1914-08-15 Dinant, Belgium, destroyed by German bombs. Lt Charles de Gaulle (24), injured
- 1940-06-05 General Charles De Gaulle becomes French junior minister of Defense
- 1940-06-09 General Charles de Gaulle's 1st meeting with Winston Churchill
- 1940-06-18 Gen Charles de Gaulle on BBC tells French to defy Nazi occupiers
- 1940-08-02 Clermont-Ferrand sentences Gen Charles de Gaulle to death
- 1943-05-30 French general Charles De Gaulle arrives in Algiers
- 1944-06-14 General Charles de Gaulle lands at Courselles France
- 1944-07-06 French General Charles de Gaulle arrives in Washington, D.C.
- 1958-06-01 Charles de Gaulle elected premier of France
- 1958-06-04 French premier Charles De Gaulle arrives in Algiers
- 1958-06-06 Premier Charles de Gaulle says Algeria will always be French
- 1958-12-21 Charles De Gaulle wins 7 year term as 1st President of 5th Rep of France
- 1959-01-08 Charles de Gaulle inaugurated as president of France's 5th Republic
- 1959-01-13 French President Charles De Gaulle grants amnesty to 130 Algerians sentenced to death
- 1959-05-29 Charles de Gaulle forms French government
- 1959-09-16 French President Charles de Gaulle recognizes Algerian right of self determination
- 1961-05-31 JFK visits Charles de Gaulle in Paris
- 1962-08-22 Failed assassination attempt on French president Charles de Gaulle
- 1963-01-22 The Elysée treaty of cooperation between France and Germany was signed by Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer.
- 1967-07-24 Charles de Gaulle says 'Vive le Quebec libre! Long live free Quebec!'
- 1967-11-27 French President Charles de Gaulle said 'Non!' to British entry to the European Common Market for the second time
- 1968-05-13 1,000,000 French demonstrate against Charles De Gaulle & Georges Pompidou
- 1968-05-24 French President Charles De Gaulle proposes referendum & students set fire to Paris bourse
- 1969-04-28 Charles de Gaulle resigns as president of France