Full Name: Charles de Gaulle
Profession: French President
Why Famous: Leader of the Free French during World War II, head of the Provisional Government of the French Republic from 1944 to 1946 and President of France from 1959 to 1969.
Famous for saying 'non' to Britain's entry to the European Common Market.
- 1921-04-07 French president Charles de Gaulle (30) weds Yvonne Vendroux (20)
- 1914-08-15 Dinant, Belgium, destroyed by German bombs. Lt Charles de Gaulle (24), injured
- 1940-06-05 General Charles De Gaulle becomes French junior minister of Defense
- 1940-06-09 General Charles de Gaulle's 1st meeting with Winston Churchill
- 1940-06-18 General Charles de Gaulle on BBC tells French to defy Nazi occupiers
- 1940-08-02 Clermont-Ferrand sentences General Charles de Gaulle to death
- 1943-05-30 French general Charles De Gaulle arrives in Algiers
- 1944-06-14 General Charles de Gaulle lands at Courselles France
- 1944-07-06 French General Charles de Gaulle arrives in Washington, D.C.
- 1944-08-25 General Charles de Gaulle walks the Champs Elysees in Paris after the liberation of the city from Nazi occupation
- 1944-08-26 Charles de Gaulle marches along the Champs-Elysees, despite coming under fire.
- 1951-06-18 Charles De Gaulle wins French parliamentary election
- 1958-06-01 Charles de Gaulle elected premier of France
- 1958-06-04 French premier Charles De Gaulle arrives in Algiers
- 1958-06-06 French Premier Charles de Gaulle says Algeria will always be French
- 1958-12-21 Charles De Gaulle wins 7 year term as 1st President of 5th Rep of France
- 1959-01-08 Charles de Gaulle inaugurated as president of France's 5th Republic
- 1959-01-13 French President Charles De Gaulle grants amnesty to 130 Algerians sentenced to death
- 1959-05-29 Charles de Gaulle forms French government
- 1959-09-16 French President Charles de Gaulle recognizes Algerian right of self determination
- 1961-05-31 JFK visits Charles de Gaulle in Paris
- 1962-08-22 Failed assassination attempt on French president Charles de Gaulle
- 1963-01-22 Elysée treaty of cooperation between France and Germany signed by Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer
- 1967-07-24 Charles de Gaulle says 'Vive le Quebec libre! Long live free Quebec!'
- 1967-11-27 French President Charles de Gaulle said 'Non!' to British entry to the European Common Market for the second time
- 1968-05-13 1,000,000 French demonstrate against Charles De Gaulle & Georges Pompidou
- 1968-05-24 French President Charles De Gaulle proposes referendum & students set fire to Paris bourse
- 1969-04-28 Charles de Gaulle resigns as president of France