Full Name: Charlie Chaplin [Charles Chaplin]
Why Famous: Charlie Chaplin was born into poverty in England and started performing on the stage from a young age. After moving to America he became a film actor and famous worldwide for his tramp character in silent films. In 1919 he founded United Artists Studio in Hollywood which produced such famous silent films as 'The Kid', 'Modern Times' and 'Gold Rush', films that he wrote, directed and starred in. Having become a controversial figure for his political views and personal life Chaplin left America and settled in Switzerland in 1953.
- 1918-10-23 Actor Charlie Chaplin (29) weds Mildred Harris (17)
- 1924-11-26 Comic actor Charlie Chaplin (35) weds "The Kid" actress Lita Grey (16) in Mexico
- 1933-06-01 Charlie Chaplin (44) weds Paulette Goddard (22)
- 1943-06-16 Actor/comedian Charlie Chaplin (54) marries actress Oona O'Neill (18)
- 1913-12-16 Charlie Chaplin began his film career at Keystone for $150 a week
- 1914-02-07 Charlie Chaplin debuts "The Tramp" in "Kid Auto Races at Venice"
- 1916-02-26 Mutual signs Charlie Chaplin to a film contract
- 1921-02-06 "The Kid", starring Charlie Chaplin & Jackie Coogan, released
- 1925-06-26 "The Gold Rush", directed, starring and written by Charlie Chaplin, is released
- 1931-01-30 "City Lights", American silent romantic comedy film directed by Charlie Chaplin, starring himself and Virginia Cherrill, premieres at Los Angeles Theater
- 1931-03-27 Charlie Chaplin receives France's distinguished Legion of Honor
- 1936-02-05 "Modern Times", directed by, written by and starring Charlie Chaplin, is released
- 1940-10-15 "The Great Dictator", a satiric social commentary film by and starring Charlie Chaplin released
- 1952-09-19 The United States bars Charlie Chaplin from re-entering the country after a trip to England.
- 1978-03-01 Charlie Chaplin's coffin and remains are stolen from a Swiss cemetery
- 2017-04-16 World record for gathering of Charlie Chaplin lookalikes - 662 at Manoir de Ban, Chaplin museum in Vevey, Switzerland