Full Name: David Livingstone
Profession: Physician and Explorer
Why Famous: Popular national hero of 19th century Victorian Britain, Livingstone had a mythic status - missionary martyr, scientific investigator and explorer, imperial reformer, anti-slavery crusader, and advocate of commercial empire. His meeting with H. M. Stanley on 10 November 1871 gave rise to the popular quotation
- 1845-01-02 Explorer and medical missionary David Livingstone (31) weds Mary Moffat
- 1855-11-17 David Livingstone becomes the first European to see Victoria Falls in what is now Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- 1859-09-16 Lake Nyasa, which forms Malawi's boundary with Tanzania & Mozambique discovered by British explorer David Livingstone
- 1867-07-09 An unsuccessful expedition led by E.D Young sets out to search for Dr David Livingstone (Scottish missionary and explorer).
- 1871-11-10 Henry Morton Stanley encounters David Livingstone at Ujiji, near Lake Tanganyika in Central Africa, with the immortal words 'Dr Livingstone, I presume?'
- 1874-04-16 Dr David Livingstone's body arrives in Southampton
- 1874-04-18 David Livingstone, African explorer, buried in Westminster Abbey