Full Name: David Lloyd George [David Lloyd George, 1st Earl Lloyd-George of Dwyfor]
Profession: British Prime Minister
Why Famous: As British Prime Minister from 1916 to 1922 he helped laid the foundations of the modern welfare state.
Lloyd George was also the Prime Minister who ensured Great Britain triumphed in World War I.
Post the war he was a major player at the Versailles Peace Conference in Paris of 1919 that reshaped Europe.
In 1921 he partitioned Ireland between the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland which remained part of the United Kingdom.
After 1923 his power waned and he became consistently pro-German until his death before the end of World War II in 1945.
- 1906-01-12 Henry Campbell-Bannerman's cabinet (which included H. H. Asquith, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill) embarks on sweeping social reforms after a Liberal landslide in the British general election
- 1909-11-30 British House of Lords rejects David Lloyd George's 'People's Budget', which tried to shift tax burden to the wealthy. Leads to the Parliament Act; intent to stop unelected house overruling will of the elected house.
- 1916-12-07 David Lloyd George replaces resigning H. H. Asquith as British Prime Minister
- 1916-12-11 David Lloyd George forms British war government
- 1925-01-29 British Liberal Party chooses David Lloyd George as leader