Full Name: Deng Xiaoping
Profession: Chinese Communist Party Leader
Why Famous: Chinese politician and reformist leader of the People's Republic of China who led his country towards a market economy.
Xiaoping was instrumental in China's economic reconstruction and is credited with developing China into one of the fastest growing economies in the world and raising the standard of living of hundreds of millions of Chinese.
- 1976-04-07 Chinese Politburo fires vice-premier Deng Xiaoping
- 1979-01-29 Chinese vice-premier Deng Xiaoping visits Washington, D.C.
- 1983-06-06 Li Xiannian becomes pres/Deng Xiaoping supreme commander of China PR
- 1989-05-16 Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev and Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping meet in Beijing and formally end a 30-year rift
- 1997-02-24 Deng Xiaoping, leader of China, cremated (died Feb 19th)