Full Name: Diocletian [Gaius Aurelius Valerius Diocletianus Augustus]
Profession: Roman Emperor
Why Famous: Roman emperor from 284 to 305. He defeated the Sarmatians and Carpi during several campaigns between 285 and 299. He styled himself an autocrat, elevating himself above the empire's masses with imposing forms of court ceremonies and architecture. He is perhaps best remembered for "The Diocletianic Persecution" (303–11), the empire's largest and bloodiest official persecution of Christianity.
- 0284-11-20 Diocletian is proclaimed Roman Emperor by his soldiers in the army of the east
- 0285-07-21 Diocletian appoints Maximian as Caesar, co-ruler.
- 0303-02-23 Roman Emperor Diocletian begins his policy of persecuting Christians, razing the church at Nicomedia
- 0303-02-24 1st official Roman edict for persecution of Christians issued by Emperor Diocletian
- 0305-05-01 Diocletian and Maximian retire from the office of Roman Emperor.