Full Name: Edvard Munch
Profession: Painter and Print Maker
Why Famous: Edvard Munch was an influential Norwegian painter and printmaker in the Expressionist style. Much studied in Oslo before travelling to Paris and later Berlin, before returning in his later career to Oslo.
He is widely known for his iconic painting "The Scream", for which four versions exist. The painting has had a chequered life, two versions have famously been stolen and recovered.
- 1994-02-12 "The Scream" by Norwegian painter Edvard Munch (1893 pastel version) is stolen in Oslo
- 1994-05-07 Edvard Munch's painting "The Scream" is recovered 3 months after it was stolen
- 2004-08-22 "The Scream" (1910 painted version) and "Madonna", two paintings by Edvard Munch, are stolen at gunpoint from the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway.
- 2006-08-31 Stolen on August 22, 2004, Edvard Munch's famous painting "The Scream" is recovered from a raid by Norwegian police. The painting was said to be in a better-than-expected condition.
- 2012-05-02 'The Scream', by Norwegian painter Edvard Munch (a pastel version) sells at auction for $119,922,500