Full Name: Elizabeth of Russia [Elizaveta Petrovna]
Profession: Empress of Russia
Why Famous: Elizabeth of Russia overthrew her cousin Ivan VI in 1741 in a coup. She led the country into the two major European conflicts, the War of Austrian Succession (1740–48) and the Seven Years' War (1756–63).
Elizabeth's achievements also include establishing her country's first university in Moscow, forging strong ties in Europe and her patronage of Italian architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli.
Elizabeth was warmly regarded for her decision not to execute a single person during her reign.
- 1741-11-25 Elizabeth of Russia seizes power in a coup with the aid of Imperial Russian guards in Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 1742-04-25 Elizabeth of Russia crowns herself Empress in the Dormition Cathedral in Moscow
- 1742-11-07 Empress Elizabeth of Russia proclaims her nephew Peter of Holstein-Gottorp (later Peter III) her heir
- 1755-01-25 Moscow University is established by Elizabeth of Russia and founded by Mikhail Lomonosov on Tatiana Day
- 1835-07-22 Smolny Cathedral in Saint Petersburg, Russia is consecrated, originally commissioned by Elizabeth of Russia