Full Name: Ferdinand von Zeppelin
Profession: Inventor of the Zeppelin
Why Famous: A German general and inventor, who founded the Zeppelin airship company.
Zeppelin's invention of rigid dirigibles, aircraft which are lighter than air, led to the first flight of a Zeppelin airship, LZ 1 in 1900 which he designed.
Later airships designed and built by Zeppelin confirmed the viability of the airship concept and ultimately ushered in the age of air transportation.
- 1869-08-07 Inventor Ferdinand von Zeppelin (31) weds Isabella Freiin von Wolff from the house of Alt-Schwanenburg
- 1889-03-14 German Ferdinand von Zeppelin patents his "Navigable Balloon"
- 1900-07-02 First flight LZ-1, of a dirigible airship designed by Graf Ferdinand von Zeppelin, at Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, Germany.
- 1910-06-22 1st airship with passengers sets afloat-Zeppelin Deutscheland
- 1911-05-16 Zeppelin "Deutscheland" wrecked at Dusseldorf