Full Name: Fidel Castro
Profession: Cuban Revolutionary and President
Why Famous: Led the Cuban revolution and in 1959 established the first communist state in the Western Hemisphere.
After the revolution, Castro became the Prime Minister of Cuba. In 1976 he changed roles to President but maintained a firm grip on power in Cuba.
Due to ailing health, he relinquished power to his brother, Raul Castro in 2008.
- 1948-10-11 Fellow students Fidel Castro and Mirta Diaz-Balart marry (divorced 1955)
- 1953-07-26 Fidel Castro begins rebellion, the "26th of July Movement," against Fulgenico Batista's regime in Cuba
- 1953-08-01 Fidel Castro arrested in Cuba
- 1953-10-16 Fidel Castro sentenced to 15 years (Havana)
- 1955-08-08 Fidel Castro forms "July 26th Movement"
- 1956-12-02 Fidel Castro lands with "Granma" on coast of Cuba
- 1958-04-03 Fidel Castro's rebels attacked Havana
- 1958-05-24 Cuban President Batista opens offensive against Fidel Castro's rebellion
- 1958-08-18 Fidel Castro makes a speech on Cuban pirate radio Rebelde
- 1959-01-07 US recognizes Fidel Castro's Cuban government
- 1959-02-06 Fidel Castro is interviewed by Edward R Murrow
- 1959-02-07 Fidel Castro proclaims new Cuban constitution
- 1959-02-16 Fidel Castro becomes the 16th Prime Minister of Cuba after overthrowing Fulgencio Batista
- 1959-04-15 Fidel Castro begins US goodwill tour
- 1960-07-01 Fidel Castro nationalizes Esso, Shell & Texaco in Cuba
- 1960-09-26 Cuban leader Fidel Castro delivers a 4 hrs, 29 minute speech at the UN
- 1960-10-13 Opponents of Fidel Castro executed in Cuba
- 1961-04-17 1,400 Cuban exiles land in Bay of Pigs in a doomed attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro
- 1961-04-30 Premier Fidel Castro of Cuba receives Lenin-Peace Prize
- 1961-05-01 Fidel Castro announces there will be no more elections in Cuba
- 1961-12-02 Fidel Castro declares he's a Marxist & will lead Cuba to Communism
- 1961-12-23 Fidel Castro announces Cuba will release 1,113 prisoners from failed 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion for $62M worth of food & medical supplies
- 1962-01-03 Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro
- 1962-07-02 Fidel Castro visits Moscow
- 1962-11-19 Fidel Castro accepts removal of Soviet weapons
- 1963-04-27 Cuban premier Fidel Castro arrives in Moscow
- 1976-12-02 Fidel Castro becomes President of Cuba, replacing Osvaldo Dorticós Torrado
- 1978-09-12 Fidel Castro visits Addis Abba
- 2002-05-12 Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro becoming first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro's 1959 revolution.
- 2004-10-25 Fidel Castro, Cuba's President, announces that transactions using the American Dollar will be banned by November 8.
- 2008-02-24 Fidel Castro retires as the President of Cuba due to ill health after nearly fifty years
- 2011-04-19 Fidel Castro resigns from the Communist Party of Cuba's central committee after 45 years of holding the title.
- 2015-09-20 Pope Francis meets Fidel Castro in Havana, on the 1st day of his tour of Cuba