Full Name: Francis Ford Coppola
Why Famous: Francis Ford Coppola is a hugely influential film director, producer and scriptwriter responsible for such films as The Godfather trilogy and "Apocalypse Now".
Coppola, educated at UCLA film school, was part of the "New Hollywood" group of directors, along with George Lucas and Steven Spielberg who came to the fore in the 1970s.
Coppola's first success came with "Patton" (1970) for which he won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. In 1972 he released "The Godfather" starring Marlon Brando. The film's depiction of an American mafia family won Coppola 3 Academy awards and is regularly ranked as one of the best films ever made.
Further success followed with "The Godfather Part II", often considered superior to its predecessor, and which help start the sequel trend in cinema. "Apocalyse Now" (1979) later followed and gained similar praise, however the film remains notorious for its arduous and controversial production.
Later films included "The Outsiders (1983), "The Godfather Part III" (1990) and "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (1992), but have not been as influential.
- 1963-02-02 Filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola (23) weds documentary filmmaker Eleanor Jessie Neil (26) in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1972-03-15 "The Godfather", based on the book by Mario Puzo, directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, premieres in NYC (Best Picture 1973)
- 1973-01-28 30th Golden Globes: The Godfather, Marlon Brando and Liv Ullmann win
- 1973-03-27 45th Academy Awards: "The Godfather", Marlon Brando & Liza Minnelli win Marlon Brando turns down Oscar for best actor in support of Indians
- 1974-05-24 27th Cannes Film Festival: "The Conversation" directed by Francis Ford Coppola wins the Grand Prix du Festival International du Film
- 1974-12-20 "The Godfather Part II", directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Al Pacino and Robert De Niro, is released (Best Picture 1975)
- 1975-04-08 47th Academy Awards: "The Godfather Part II", Ellen Burstyn & Art Carney win
- 1979-05-24 32nd Cannes Film Festival: "Apocalypse Now" directed by Francis Ford Coppola and "Die Biechtrommel" directed by Volker Schlondorff jointly awarded the Palme d'Or
- 1979-08-15 "Apocalypse Now", directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, and Martin Sheen, is released
- 1990-12-25 "The Godfather Part III" directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Al Pacino, Diane Keaton and Andy Garcia premieres