Profession: Film Director
Why Famous: Capra's family emigrated to the US when he was only 5. Capra rose to become a self-made man and one of the most influential film directors of the 1930s and 1940s.
Some of Capra's most famous films include "It Happened One Night (1934) for which he won Best Director, "You Can't Take It With You" (1938), "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939).
However today Capra is particularly remembered for "Its a Wonderful Life" (1946) starring James Stewart.
- 1923-11-25 Film director Frank Capra (26) weds actress Helen Howell in San Francisco, California
- 1932-02-01 Film director Frank Capra (34) weds secretary Lucille Reyburn
- 1934-02-22 "It Happened One Night" directed by Frank Capra and starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert opens at NY's Radio City Music Hall (Outstanding Production 1935)
- 1938-08-23 "You Can’t Take It With You" from the play by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart, directed by Frank Capra and starring James Stewart and Jean Arthur premieres. Best Picture (1939)
- 1946-12-20 Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" starring James Stewart and Donna Reed premieres in New York