Full Name: Frederick Henry [Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange]
Profession: Prince of Orange
Why Famous: Frederick Henry succeeded his half brother Maurice (1618-25) to be appointed Stadtholder of the Dutch Republic in 1625. His long reign until his death in 1647 was marked by military campaigns, prosperity and by his largely successful attempts to balance to demands of the various Dutch states.
As a soldier, Frederick Henry forged a reputation for capturing fortified towns, his greatest success was the siege of ’s-Hertogenbosch in 1629.
For most of his administration Frederick Henry formed an alliance with France against Spain. However in his last years he rejected this, making a peace with Spain that was only signed after his death.
- 1625-04-04 Viceroy Frederick Henry marries Amalia countess von Solms-Braunfels
- 1625-05-01 Prince Frederick Henry appointed viceroy of Holland
- 1625-06-02 Prince Frederick Henry sworn in as viceroy of Holland/Zealand
- 1627-08-19 Prince Frederick Henry conquers fort Groenlo
- 1629-09-14 Siege of 's-Hertogenbosch: Spanish garrison surrenders to Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange
- 1629-11-03 Prince Frederick Henry festival in The Hague
- 1632-06-04 Prince Frederick Henry conquers Venlo
- 1632-06-05 Prince Frederick Henry conquers Roermond
- 1632-06-08 Frederick Henry, Prince of Orange, conquers Sittard
- 1632-08-22 Prince Frederick Henry occupies Maastricht
- 1633-03-07 Prince Frederick Henry appoints himself viceroy of Limburg
- 1633-06-02 Prince Frederick Henry conquers fort Rhine at Cologne
- 1636-04-29 Prince Frederick Henry occupies Schenkenschans
- 1637-10-07 Prince Frederick Henry occupies Breda
- 1641-07-27 Prince Frederick Henry captures castle of Gennep
- 1644-09-05 Prince Frederick Henry conquers Sas of Gent
- 1645-11-04 Prince Frederick Henry conquers Hulst