Full Name: George H. W. Bush [George Herbert Walker Bush]
Profession: 41st US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Vice President, Director of Central Intelligence, Ambassador to the United Nations
Why Famous: George H. W. Bush was the 41st US President and prior to this he was Ronald Reagan's Vice President, Director of the CIA and a congressman from Texas.
His four years as President were dominated by US involvement in Panama and the Persian Gulf where he fought the First Gulf War.
- 1945-01-06 US First Lady Barbara Bush (19) weds 41st president George H. W. Bush (20) at the First Presbyterian Church in Rye, New York
- 1984-08-22 Republican convention in Dallas renominates President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George H. W. Bush
- 1988-01-25 US VP George H. W. Bush & Dan Rather clash on "CBS Evening News" as Rather attempts to question Bush about his role in Iran-Contra affair
- 1989-01-04 George H. W. Bush is 1st Vice President since Martin Van Buren to declare himself President of the United States
- 1989-01-20 George H. W. Bush inaugurated as 41st US President & Dan Quayle becomes 44th Vice President
- 1989-03-09 US Senate rejects President George H. W. Bush's nomination of John Tower as Defense Secretary
- 1989-05-11 US President George H. W. Bush orders nearly 2,000 troops to Panama
- 1989-11-21 Law banning smoking on most domestic flights signed by US President George H. W. Bush
- 1989-12-03 Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev and US President George H. W. Bush, declare the Cold War over
- 1990-03-28 US President George H. W. Bush awards Jesse Owen the Congressional Gold Medal
- 1990-06-25 African National Congress leader Nelson Mandela meets with President George H. W. Bush at the White House
- 1990-07-26 US President George H. W. Bush signs Americans With Disabilities Act
- 1990-08-02 US President George H. W. Bush orders troops to Saudi Arabia
- 1990-08-22 US President George H. W. Bush calls up military reserves
- 1990-09-16 Iraq televises an 8 minute uncensored speech from George H. W. Bush
- 1990-09-24 South African President F W de Klerk meets US President George H. W. Bush in Washington, D.C.
- 1990-10-01 US President George H. W. Bush at UN, condemns Iraq's takeover of Kuwait
- 1990-11-15 US President George H. W. Bush signs Clear Air Act of 1990
- 1990-11-22 George H. W. Bush visits US troops in Saudi Arabia
- 1990-11-30 US President George H. W. Bush offers to send Secretary of State James Baker to Baghdad to meet with Saddam Hussein
- 1991-01-12 US Congress gives George H. W. Bush authority to wage war against Iraq
- 1991-03-06 Following Iraq's capitulation in the Persian Gulf conflict, US President George H. W. Bush told Congress that "aggression is defeated. The war is over"
- 1991-05-04 US President George H. W. Bush is hospitalized for erratic heartbeat
- 1991-05-15 US President George H. W. Bush takes Queen Elizabeth to Oakland A's-Balt Oriole game
- 1991-08-16 US President George H. W. Bush declares recession is near an end
- 1991-09-27 US President George H. W. Bush decides to end full-time B-52 bombers alert
- 1992-01-08 George H. W. Bush gets ill & vomits on Japanese prime minister's lap
- 1992-03-03 US President George H. W. Bush apologizes for raising taxes after pledging not to
- 1992-05-23 US President George H. W. Bush orders Coast Guard to intercept boats with Haitian refugees
- 1992-10-05 1st overturn of a George H. W. Bush veto (cable bill)
- 1992-11-03 Bill Clinton (D) wins US presidential election over President George H. W. Bush (R)
- 1992-12-04 Somali Civil War: President George H. W. Bush orders 28,000 US troops to Somalia in Northeast Africa.
- 1992-12-24 US President George H. W. Bush pardons Caspar Weinberger for Iran-contra affair
- 1993-01-03 In Moscow, the Start II arms reduction treaty is signed by George H. W. Bush (USA) and Boris Yeltsin (Russia)
- 1993-06-26 The U.S. launches a cruise missile attack targeting Baghdad intelligence headquarters in retaliation for a thwarted assassination attempt against former President George H. W. Bush in April in Kuwait.