Full Name: George VI
Profession: King of Great Britain
Why Famous: Served as King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions from 1936 until his death in 1952.
George VI ascended the throne after his brother, Edward VIII, abdicated to marry the divorced American socialite Wallis Simpson.
During George's reign the break-up of the British Empire and its transition into the Commonwealth of Nations accelerated. He also served as Britain's wartime King during World War II.
- 1923-04-26 English prince Albert Duke of York (George VI) (27) marries Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (22) at Westminster Abbey
- 1936-12-10 Britain replaces King Edward VIII stamp series with King George VI
- 1937-05-12 Coronation of King George VI of Great Britain (and his other realms and territories beyond the sea) at Westminster Abbey.
- 1939-06-07 George VI & Elizabeth become the 1st king & queen of Britain to visit USA
- 1942-04-15 George VI awards George Cross to people of Malta
- 1944-05-15 Eisenhower, Montgomery, Churchill & George VI discuss D-Day plan
- 1944-06-16 King George VI visits General Montgomery's HQ in Normandy
- 1944-09-01 King George VI promotes Montgomery to field marshal
- 1947-07-18 King George VI signs Indian Independence Act
- 1948-07-29 King George VI opens 14th modern Olympic games in London
- 1952-02-06 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds King George VI to the British throne and proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms including Canada, Australia and New Zealand
- 1952-02-15 King George VI is buried in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle in London