Full Name: George W. Bush
Profession: 43rd US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Governor of Texas
Why Famous: The son of the 41st President George Bush, George W. Bush served two terms (2001-2009). His first term, controversially won against Al Gore, was dominated by the September 11 terrorist attacks in 2001 and the resulting 'war on terror' with wars fought in Afghanistan and Iraq. His legislation included the Patriot Act and No Child Left Behind. His later years in power saw the Economic Crisis and the beginning of the Great Recession.
- 1977-11-05 43rd US President George W. Bush (31) weds Laura Welch (31) at The First United Methodist Church in Midland, Texas
- 2001-05-17 US President George W. Bush calls for reduced regulations to encourage more oil, gas, and nuclear production
- 2001-08-03 US President George W. Bush signs into law the Iran and Libya Sanctions Act (ILSA) Extension Act of 2001
- 2001-08-09 US President George W. Bush announces his support for federal funding of limited research on embryonic stem cells.
- 2001-09-20 In an address to a joint session of Congress and the American people, U.S. President George W. Bush declares a "war on terror".
- 2001-10-05 Tom Ridge resigns as Governor of Pennsylvania to become President George W. Bush's Homeland Security Advisor
- 2001-10-08 U.S. President George W. Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.
- 2001-11-13 War on Terrorism: In the first such act since World War II, US President George W. Bush signs an executive order allowing military tribunals against foreigners suspected of connections to terrorist acts or planned acts on the United States.
- 2001-11-13 US President George W. Bush orders that the Strategic Petroleum Reserve be filled to capacity over the next few years
- 2001-11-20 US President George W. Bush dedicates the US Department of Justice headquarters as the Robert F. Kennedy Justice Building, honoring the late Robert F. Kennedy on what would have been his 76th birthday
- 2002-01-08 President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act.
- 2002-01-29 US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address describes "regimes that sponsor terror" an "Axis of Evil", which includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea
- 2002-06-29 US Vice President Dick Cheney, serves as Acting President for two and a half hours, while President George W. Bush undergoes a colonoscopy procedure.
- 2002-07-30 The accounting law referred to as "The Sarbanes Oxley Act" is signed into law by President George W. Bush.
- 2003-05-01 In what becomes known as the "Mission Accomplished" speech, U.S. President George W. Bush declares that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended" on board the USS Abraham Lincoln off the coast of California
- 2003-12-14 President George W. Bush announces the capture of Saddam Hussein.
- 2004-04-29 Dick Cheney and George W. Bush testify before the 9/11 Commission in a closed, unrecorded hearing in the Oval Office.
- 2005-02-23 Slovakia Summit 2005 begins, marking the first occasion when a sitting American President visits Slovakia; George W. Bush and Vladimir Putin are in attendance.
- 2005-05-10 A hand grenade which was thrown by Vladimir Arutyunian lands about 65 feet (20 metres) from U.S. President George W. Bush while he was giving a speech to a crowd in Tbilisi, Georgia, but it malfunctions and does not detonate.
- 2006-06-29 Hamdan v. Rumsfeld: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that President George W. Bush's plan to try Guantanamo Bay detainees in military tribunals violates U.S. and international law.
- 2006-12-15 B.B. King is awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush
- 2008-10-03 The $700 billion bailout bill for the US financial system is signed by President George W. Bush
- 2008-12-14 President George W. Bush make his fourth and final trip to Iraq as president and is almost struck by two shoes thrown at him by Iraqi journalist Muntadhar al-Zaidi during a farewell conference in Baghdad
- 2010-11-16 In University Park, Texas, the groundbreaking ceremony for the George W. Bush Presidential Center takes place