Full Name: Heinrich Himmler
Profession: Leading Nazi and Reichsführer of the SS
Why Famous: As the head of the SS Himmler oversaw the construction and operation of Nazi Germany's concentration and extermination camps; he was thus at the center of the Holocaust. He was Hitler's second-in-command and one of the most powerful and infamous Nazis.
In 1945 Himmler attempted to open negotiations with the Allies, whereupon he was dismissed from all his posts by Hitler and captured by the British, in whose custody he committed suicide on 23 May 1945.
- 1931-06-14 Reinhard Heydrich's first meeting with Heinrich Himmler
- 1932-01-01 Rasse und Siedlungshauptamt publishes Himmler's wedding laws
- 1933-04-01 Heinrich Himmler becomes Police Commander of Germany
- 1934-04-20 Heinrich Himmler becomes inspector Prussian secret state police
- 1934-07-09 SS-Reichsfuehrer Heinrich Himmler takes command of German Concentration Camps
- 1935-10-07 Himmler, Hess and Heydrich inspect the concentration camp at Dachau
- 1939-12-01 SS-Fuhrer Himmler begins deportation of Polish Jews
- 1940-04-27 Himmler orders establishment of Auschwitz Concentration Camp
- 1941-03-01 Himmler inspects Auschwitz concentration camp
- 1941-07-21 Himmler orders building of Majdanek concentration camp
- 1941-12-15 Nazi's transfers 100 Czech citizens, Heinrich Himmler falls faint
- 1942-05-30 Reichsfuehrer Herman Himmler arrives in Prague
- 1942-07-10 Himmler orders sterilization of all Jewish woman in Ravensbruck Camp
- 1943-01-14 Heinrich Himmler views Warsaw
- 1943-06-10 Heinrich Himmler ordered the final liquidation of Lodz ghetto in occupied Poland
- 1943-07-08 Nationaal-Socialistische Beweging (Dutch National Socialist Movement) leader Anton Mussert meets with Heinrich Himmler
- 1943-10-06 Himmler wants acceleration of "Final Solution"
- 1944-11-26 Himmler orders destruction of Auschwitz & Birkenau crematoria
- 1945-05-21 Nazi SS-Reichsfuehrer Heinrich Himmler captured