Full Name: Helmut Kohl
Profession: German Chancellor
Why Famous: Served as Chancellor of West Germany from 1982 to 1990, and then of the reunified Germany from 1990 to 1998.
Kohl oversaw the end of the Cold War, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the resulting reunification of Germany.
Widely regarded as one of the greatest leaders of post-war Europe, Kohl was the longest-serving German chancellor since Otto von Bismarck.
- 1982-10-01 West Germany's Christian Democrat Union ousts Helmut Schmidt as Chancellor, replacing him with Helmut Kohl
- 1982-10-04 West German parliament officially confirms Helmut Kohl as the country's new Chancellor
- 1983-03-06 Helmut Kohl's CDU/CSU wins West German parliament elections
- 1994-11-15 German Bundestag officially elects Helmut Kohl as Chancellor by a single vote (341-340)
- 1998-09-27 German Chancellor Helmut Kohl's CDU/CSU party suffers a heavy defeat in federal elections to Gerard Schroder's SPD party
- 1998-10-27 Helmut Kohl resigns as Chancellor of Germany after 16 years, following a landslide defeat in elections