Full Name: Henry Hudson
Why Famous: Henry Hudson was an explorer and navigator in the early 17th century.
Hudson made two attempts to find a prospective Northwest Passage to China via a route above the Arctic Circle while in the employ of the Dutch East India Company.
While he didn't find the passage, Hudson did explore the region around modern New York and the river which now bears his name. Thus laying the foundations for Dutch colonization of the region.
It is presumed he died in 1611 after being set adrift by mutineers in Hudson Bay on his ship Discovery and never seen again.
- 1609-03-25 Henry Hudson embarks on an exploration for Dutch East India Co
- 1609-08-28 English explorer Henry Hudson, discovers and explores Delaware Bay
- 1609-09-04 Navigator Henry Hudson first European to discover island of Manhattan [or Sep 11]
- 1610-08-02 Henry Hudson enters bay later named after him, the Hudson Bay
- 1611-06-22 Henry Hudson set adrift in Hudson Bay by mutineers on his ship Discovery and never seen again
- 1938-01-06 Bronze memorial statue of Henry Hudson erected in Bronx