Full Name: Hernán Cortés
Profession: Spanish Conquistador
Why Famous: Spanish Conquistador who led an expedition to Mexico during the 16th century that caused the fall of the Aztec Empire.
Cortés was one of the first Spanish explorers, beginning the first phase of the Spanish colonization of the Americas.
- 1519-02-18 Hernán Cortés leaves Cuba for the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico with 11 ships and 500 men
- 1519-09-05 Second Battle of Tehuacingo, Mexico: Hernán Cortés vs Tlascala Aztecs
- 1519-11-08 1st meeting of Moctezuma II & Hernán Cortés in Tenochtitlan, Mexico
- 1520-06-30 Spanish conquistadors under Hernán Cortés take gold from Aztecs
- 1520-07-07 Battle of Otumba Mexico: Hernán Cortés and the Tlaxcalans defeat a numerically superior Aztec force
- 1521-08-13 Spanish conquistadors under Hernán Cortés capture Aztec Emperor Cuauhtémoc in Tenochtitlan marking the end of the Aztec Empire
- 1522-10-15 Emperor Karel I names Hernán Cortés governor of Mexico