Full Name: Ibn Saud [Abdulaziz ibn Abdul Rahman ibn Faisal ibn Turki ibn Abdullah ibn Muhammad Al Saud]
Profession: Founder of Saudi Arabia
Why Famous: Founder and first King of Saudi Arabia (1932-53) who founded the House of Saud, the "third Saudi state".
Ibn Saud reconquered his family's ancestral home city of Riyadh in 1902, starting three decades of conquests that made him the ruler of nearly all of central Arabia.
He consolidated his control over the Najd in 1922, then conquered the Hejaz in 1925. He extended his dominions into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in 1932.
As King, he presided over the discovery of petroleum in Saudi Arabia in 1938 and the beginning of large-scale oil production after World War II.
He notably fathered many children, including 45 sons and all of the subsequent kings of Saudi Arabia.
- 1902-01-15 Abdulaziz Ibn Saud leads 40 men over the walls of Riyadh and takes the city, marking the beginning of the Third Saudi State
- 1924-10-13 Mecca falls without struggle to Saudi forces led by Abdulaziz Ibn Saud
- 1925-12-12 Medina surrenders to Saudi forces led by Sultan Abdulaziz Ibn Saud
- 1925-12-17 Sultan Abdulaziz Ibn Saud conquers Jeddah, the last major stand of the Hashemites against the Saudis
- 1926-01-08 Abdulaziz Ibn Saud becomes King of Nejd and Hejaz; forerunner of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- 1932-09-23 Abdulaziz Ibn Saud merges the Kingdom of Nejd and Hejaz into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia