Full Name: Imelda Marcos
Profession: First Lady and Politican
Why Famous: Imelda Marcos was the wife of President Ferdinand Marcos, a politician in her own right and notorious for her lavish lifestyle.
Imelda Marcos became the First Lady of the Philippines with her husband's election in 1965. In 1972 in an attempt to hold onto power martial law was declared and Imelda herself survived an assassination attempt that same year. After her husband was forced out of power in 1986 by the People Power Revolution they were exiled to the US. In her absence the Malacañan Palace was found to contain evidence of the the couple's huge acquisition of wealth, including famously, more than 1,000 pairs of Imelda's shoes.
In 1991, she and her family were granted permission by Corazon Aquino to return to the Philippines. Her come back has since allowed her to restore her political dynasty and was elected to the House of Representatives in 1995 for Leyte, and again in 2010 for Ilocos Norte.
Despite facing numerous allegations of the family's source of wealth (she is estimated to be the 3rd richest person in the country), she was never imprisoned on these charges. Marcos continues to wield power, and her ability to survive upheavals in her life has led her to her be nicknamed "Steel Butterfly".
- 1954-05-01 Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos (36) weds Imelda Romualdez (24) in a Catholic church
- 1966-07-04 Beatles attacked in Philippines after (unintentionally) insulting Imelda Marcos
- 1972-12-07 Philippine's first lady Imelda Marcos stabbed & wounded by an assailant
- 1988-10-21 Philippine former first couple Ferdinand & Imelda Marcos indicted on racketeering charges
- 1990-07-02 Imelda Marcos & Adnan Khashoggi found not guilty of racketeering
- 1991-11-04 Imelda Marcos returns from exile to the Philippines and was arrested the next day for tax fraud and corruption. She was then released on $6,400 bail.
- 2008-05-10 Philippine court acquits Imelda Marcos in a 17-year-old case of 32 counts of illegal transfer of wealth totaling $863 million in Swiss bank accounts.
- 2010-05-11 Imelda Marcos wins election to the House of Representatives of the Philippines, representing Ilocos Norte province
- 2010-09-09 A court in the Philippines orders Imelda Marcos to repay the government almost $280,000 for funds taken from the National Food Authority by Ferdinand Marcos in 1983