Full Name: James I and VI [James Stuart]
Profession: King of Great Britain
Why Famous: He succeeded his mother Mary as King James VI of Scotland and later succeeded Elizabeth Tudor, who had had his mother executed, as King James I of England.
He maintained the Protestant reformation, and authorised a translation of the Bible into contemporary English which is in use to this day.
- 1567-07-24 Mary Queen of Scots is forced to abdicate; her 1-year-old son becomes King James VI of Scots
- 1567-07-29 James VI is crowned King of Scots at Stirling
- 1581-01-28 James VI signs 2nd Confession of Faith in Scotland
- 1582-08-22 King James VI of Scotland captured
- 1603-03-24 Scottish King James VI son of Mary Queen of Scots, becomes King James I of England in succession to Elizabeth I, thus joining the English and Scottish crowns.
- 1603-04-05 New English King James I (James VI of Scotland) departs Edinburgh for London
- 1605-11-05 Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. The plot was discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.
- 1606-08-07 Possible first performance of Shakespeare's tragedy Macbeth, performed in the Great Hall at Hampton Court Palace for King James I.
- 1610-03-21 King James I of England and VI of Scotland addresses English House of Commons
- 1612-10-28 Robert Dowland appointed court luitist of King James I
- 1614-04-05 2nd parliament of King James I begin session (no enactments)
- 1614-06-07 2nd parliament of King James I, dissolves passing no legislation
- 1616-04-30 King James I of England leaves Brielle/Vlissingen
- 1618-10-29 English adventurer, writer, and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against James I of England.
- 1621-09-21 King James I of England gives Sir Alexander Sterling royal charter for colonisation of Nova Scotia
- 1621-12-30 English king James I cracks Protestation of Parliament
- 1622-02-08 King James I disbands the English parliament
- 1624-09-12 1st submarine publicly tested in London on the Thames for King James I