Full Name: James Knox Polk
Profession: 11th US President
Political Party: Democratic
Political Titles: Governor of Tennessee, Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
Why Famous: Noted for his foreign policy successes. He threatened war with Britain over the issue of which nation owned the Oregon Country, then backed away and split the ownership of the region with Britain.
When Mexico rejected the American annexation of Texas, Polk led the nation to a sweeping victory in the Mexican-American War, which gave the United States most of its present Southwest.
- 1824-01-01 US President James Knox Polk (28) weds Sarah Childress (20) in Murfreesboro
- 1844-12-04 James Knox Polk elected 11th US President
- 1845-03-04 James K. Polk inaugurated as 11th US President
- 1845-12-02 Manifest Destiny: US President James K. Polk announces to Congress that the United States should aggressively expand into the West.
- 1849-02-14 In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes first serving US President to have his photograph taken (by Matthew Brady).