Full Name: Jefferson Davis
Profession: President of the Confederate States of America
Why Famous: During the American Civil War, he took personal charge of the Confederate war plans as the President of the Confederate States of America. He was unable, however, to find a successful strategy to defeat the more populous and industrialized Union.
His poor leadership is one of the main reasons for the Confederacy's weaknesses, according to many historians.
- 1835-06-17 Soldier and politician Jefferson Davis (27) weds Sarah Knox Taylor (21) in Louisville, Kentucky
- 1847-12-05 Jefferson Davis is elected to the US senate, his first political post.
- 1861-01-21 Jefferson Davis of Mississippi and 4 other southern senators resign (U.S Civil War)
- 1861-02-04 Confederate constitutional convention meets for 1st time; Jefferson Davis elected President of Confederacy (US Civil War)
- 1861-02-09 Jefferson Davis & Alexander Stephens elected President & VP of the Confederate States of America (US Civil War)
- 1861-02-18 Confederate President Jefferson Davis inaugurated at Montgomery, Alabama (US Civil War)
- 1861-11-06 Jefferson Davis elected to 6 year term as US Confederate President
- 1862-12-23 Union General Ben "Beast" Butler is proclaimed a "felon, outlaw & common enemy of mankind" by Jefferson Davis
- 1863-03-27 American Confederate President Jefferson Davis calls for this to be a day of fasting & prayer
- 1863-06-07 Battle of Milliken's Bend, LA-Jefferson Davis' home burnt
- 1865-01-28 Confederate President Jefferson Davis names 3 peace commissioners
- 1865-03-13 US Civil war: Confederate President Jefferson Davis signs bill authorizing use of slaves as soldiers
- 1865-04-02 US Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis flees Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia
- 1865-05-02 US President Andrew Johnson offers $100,000 reward for capture of Jefferson Davis
- 1865-05-10 US Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis captured by Union troops at Irwinsville Georgia
- 1868-12-03 1st blacks on US trial jury appointed for Jefferson Davis trial
- 1869-02-15 Charges of Treason against Jefferson Davis are dropped
- 1870-01-20 Hiram R. Revels elected to fill unexpired term of Jefferson Davis as US Senator for Mississippi