Full Name: Jimmy Stewart [James Stewart]
Why Famous: Known for his distinctive drawl voice and down-to-earth persona, and often portrayed the average American Middle Class man facing everyday life struggles.
He was nominated for five Academy Awards, winning one. Notable films he starred in include "Rear Window", "Vertigo", and "It's a Wonderful Life".
- 1949-08-09 Film and stage actor Jimmy Stewart (41) weds former model Gloria Hatrick McLean (31) at the Brentwood Presbyterian Church in Los Angeles
- 1938-08-23 "You Can’t Take It With You" from the play by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart, directed by Frank Capra and starring James Stewart and Jean Arthur premieres. Best Picture (1939)
- 1939-10-17 "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", starring Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur, is released
- 1941-02-27 13th Academy Awards: "Rebecca", James Stewart & Ginger Rogers win
- 1944-03-22 American movie star Jimmy Stewart flies his 12th combat mission, leading the 2nd Bomb Wing in an attack on Berlin
- 1945-03-29 Movie star Jimmy Stewart is promoted to full colonel, one of the few Americans to rise from private to colonel in four years
- 1946-12-20 Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" starring James Stewart and Donna Reed premieres in New York
- 1950-12-20 "Harvey" starring James Stewart premieres in NY
- 1952-01-10 "The Greatest Show on Earth", directed and produced by Cecil B. DeMille, starring James Stewart and Carlton Heston, premieres in New York (Best Picture 1953)
- 1958-05-09 Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" is released, starring Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak
- 1961-04-17 Jimmy Stewart accepts an honorary Oscar on behalf of his friend Gary Cooper, who is too ill to attend