Full Name: John Quincy Adams
Profession: 6th US President
Political Party: Federalist, Democratic-Republi
Political Titles: Secretary of state, Minister to Prussia, Minister to Russia, Minister to the Netherlands, Minister to Great Britain, Senator from Massachusetts
Why Famous: The son of former President John Adams and Abigail Adams, he served as the sixth President of the United States from 1825 to 1829.
As president, he played an important role in negotiating key treaties, most notably the Treaty of Ghent, which ended the War of 1812.
He has been portrayed as the exemplar and moral leader in an era of modernization.
- 1797-06-26 US President John Quincy Adams (29) weds Louisa Johnson (22) at All Hallows Barking parish in London
- 1817-09-22 John Quincy Adams becomes US Secretary of State
- 1824-12-01 US House of Representatives begins to decide outcome of election deadlock between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson (Adams wins)
- 1825-02-09 House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams 6th US president
- 1825-03-04 John Quincy Adams inaugurated as 6th president of the USA
- 1828-05-19 U.S. President John Quincy Adams signs the Tariff of 1828/Tariff of Abominations into law to protect industry in the North