Full Name: Joseph Stalin
Profession: Soviet General Secretary
Why Famous: Came to prominence after Vladimir Lenin's death in 1924, leading the Communist state till his death in 1953.
Instituted policies of collective agriculture and rapid industrialization lead to rapid growth in the Soviet economy but at a huge cost to Soviet citizens.
Halted the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union in World War II, helping defeat the axis powers and establishing the Eastern Bloc of communist countries.
- 1906-07-28 Soviet Union Premier Joseph Stalin (27) weds Ekaterina Svanidze (21) at St. David's Church in Tiflis
- 1913-01-12 After using other pseudonyms over the years, Josef Dzhugashvili signs himself as Stalin ("man of steel") in a letter to the paper, Social Democrat
- 1917-10-23 Lenin speaks against Kamenev, Kollontai, Stalin & Trotsky
- 1917-11-08 People's Commissars gives authority to Lenin, Trotsky & Stalin during October Revolution
- 1917-12-18 Soviet regiment (Stalin/Lenin) declares Finland Independent
- 1919-03-23 8th Congress of the Russian Communist Party re-establishes a five-member Politburo which becomes the center of political power in the Soviet Union. Original members Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, Joseph Stalin, Lev Kamenev and Nikolai Krestinsky
- 1922-04-03 Joseph Stalin appointed General Secretary of the Russian Communist Party by Vladimir Lenin
- 1923-01-04 Lenin's "Political Testament" calls for removal of Stalin
- 1925-03-30 Joseph Stalin supports rights of non-Serbian Yugoslavians
- 1927-11-12 Leon Trotsky expelled from Soviet Communist Party, paving way for Joseph Stalin
- 1927-12-27 Stalin's faction wins All-Union Congress in USSR, Trotsky expelled
- 1929-01-18 Stalin proposes to ban Trotsky from the Politburo
- 1929-11-17 Joseph Stalin throws Nicolai Bucharin out of Politburo
- 1929-11-18 Joseph Stalin routes troops to Manchuria
- 1931-03-17 Stalin throws Krupskaya Lenin out of Central Committee
- 1932-10-11 Stalin forces Zinoviev & Kamenev out of Communist Party
- 1934-02-10 Stalin ends 17th CPSU-congress, says "Life becomes merrier"
- 1934-12-01 Leningrad mayor Sergey Kirov assassinated, Stalin uses as excuse to begin the Great Purge of 1934-38
- 1935-12-26 Stalin views Dmitri Sjostakovitsj' opera "Lady Macbeth"
- 1937-01-23 Karl Radek & 16 others go on trial in Stalin's great purge
- 1937-01-30 2nd of Stalin's purge trials; Pyatakov & 16 others sentenced to death
- 1937-06-12 USSR executes 8 army leaders as Stalin's purge continues
- 1937-06-13 Stalin executes Russian officers Tuchachevski, Jakir, Putna & Uberevitch
- 1937-11-01 Stalinists execute by shooting Pastor Paul Hamberg and seven members of Azerbaijan's Lutheran community (including three women).
- 1939-04-16 Stalin requests British, French & Russian anti-nazi pact
- 1939-04-17 Stalin signs British-France-Russian anti-Nazi pact
- 1941-04-03 Churchill warns Stalin of German invasion
- 1941-05-06 Joseph Stalin becomes Premier of the Soviet Union
- 1942-08-12 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in Moscow, meets Stalin
- 1943-05-15 Joseph Stalin dissolves the Comintern (or Third International).
- 1943-05-22 Stalin disbands Komintern
- 1943-11-06 Stalin says: "The issue of German fascism is lost"
- 1943-11-27 Conference of Tehran (Churchill-Roosevelt-Stalin)
- 1943-11-28 FDR, Churchill & Stalin met at Tehran to map out strategy
- 1943-12-01 FDR, Churchill & Stalin agree to Operation Overlord (D-Day)
- 1944-04-28 Stalin meets Polish/US priest S Orlemanski
- 1944-10-09 British Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Russia for talks with Stalin
- 1945-02-04 Roosevelt, Churchill & Stalin meet at Yalta in the Crimea to discuss the final phase of the war
- 1945-02-11 Yalta agreement signed by FDR, Churchill & Stalin
- 1945-07-17 Potsdam Conference (Truman, Stalin, Churchill) holds 1st meeting
- 1945-08-02 Potsdam Conference between Joseph Stalin, Harry Truman and Winston Churchill ends
- 1948-03-18 Soviet consultants have left Yugoslavia in first sign of Tito-Stalin split.
- 1951-10-06 Joseph Stalin proclaims the Soviet Union has the atomic bomb
- 1952-08-20 Stalin meets Zhou Enlai
- 1952-11-20 Slánský trials begin - a series of Stalinist and anti-Semitic show trials in Czechoslovakia.
- 1953-02-28 Stalin meets with Beria, Bulganin, Khrushchev & Malenkov
- 1953-03-01 Joseph Stalin suffers a stroke and collapses. He dies four days later.
- 1953-03-09 Josef Stalin buried in Moscow
- 1956-02-25 Nikita Khrushchev denounces Joseph Stalin at the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
- 1961-10-30 Soviet Party Congress unanimously approves a resolution removing Stalin's body from Lenin's tomb in Red Square