Full Name: Leon Trotsky [Lev Davidovich Bronshtein]
Profession: Russian Revolutionary
Why Famous: Russian Marxist revolutionary and theorist, Soviet politician, and the founder and first leader of the Red Army.
Fell out with Joseph Stalin and became exiled overseas. Was eventually tracked to Mexico, where he was assassinated using an ice-pick.
- 1908-10-03 Pravda newspaper founded by Leon Trotsky, Adolph Joffe, Matvey Skobelev and other Russian exiles in Vienna
- 1917-10-08 Leon Trotsky named chairman of the Petrograd Soviet as Bolsheviks gain control
- 1918-02-10 Trotsky declares that Russia is leaving the war
- 1918-03-13 Trotsky gains control of the Red Army
- 1919-03-23 8th Congress of the Russian Communist Party re-establishes a five-member Politburo which becomes the center of political power in the Soviet Union. Original members Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, Joseph Stalin, Lev Kamenev and Nikolai Krestinsky
- 1921-03-07 Red Army under Trotsky attack sailors of Kronstadt naval base
- 1925-01-16 In the aftermath of Lenin's death, Stalin and Trotsky battle for leadership; today, Trotsky resigns as chairman of the Russian Revolutionary Military Council
- 1926-10-19 Russian Politburo throws out Leon Trotsky and his followers
- 1926-11-19 Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Politburo in the Soviet Union
- 1927-11-12 Trotsky expelled from Soviet CP; Stalin becomes undisputed dictator
- 1928-01-10 Soviet Union orders exile of Leon Trotsky
- 1929-01-31 Leon Trotsky expelled from Russia to Turkey