Full Name: Lyndon B. Johnson
Profession: 36th US President
Political Party: Democratic
Political Titles: Vice President, 11th United States Senate Majority
Why Famous: Lyndon B. Johnson or LBJ as he was known became the 36th US President (1963-1969) after the assassination of President Kennedy after previously serving as Vice President.
Pursued a legislative program called the 'Great Society' which included the Civil Rights and Immigration Acts.
Declared a 'War On Poverty' creating Medicare and Medicaid.
Escalated American involvement in the Vietnam War.
- 1934-11-17 Lyndon B. Johnson marries Claudia Alta Taylor
- 1961-08-19 US vice-president Lyndon B. Johnson visits West Berlin
- 1963-11-05 US VP Lyndon B. Johnson visits Netherlands
- 1963-11-22 Lyndon B. Johnson sworn in as the 36th US president after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy
- 1963-11-23 LBJ proclaims Nov 25 a day of national mourning (for JFK)
- 1963-11-29 LBJ sets up Warren Commission to investigate the assassination of JFK
- 1964-01-08 President Lyndon B. Johnson declares "War on Poverty"
- 1964-02-29 LBJ reveals US secretly developed the A-11 jet fighter
- 1964-03-16 LBJ asks Congress to pass Economic Opportunity Act as part of his War on Poverty
- 1964-05-22 LBJ presents "Great Society"
- 1964-07-02 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs Civil Rights Act & Voting Rights Act into law
- 1964-08-20 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Economic Opportunity Act, an anti-poverty measure totaling nearly $1 billion
- 1964-08-26 LBJ nominated at Democratic convention in Atlantic City, NJ
- 1964-09-03 Wilderness Act signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson
- 1964-11-03 LBJ (D) soundly defeats Barry Goldwater (R) for US President
- 1964-12-13 In El Paso, Tx, LBJ & Mexican Pres Gustavo Diaz Ordaz set off an explosion diverting Rio Grande, to reshape US-Mexico border
- 1965-01-04 LBJ's "Great Society" State of the Union Address
- 1965-06-28 1st US ground combat forces in Vietnam authorized by President Lyndon B. Johnson
- 1965-07-27 President Lyndon B. Johnson signs a bill requiring cigarette makers to print health warnings on all cigarette packages about the effects of smoking
- 1965-07-28 LBJ sends 50,000 more soldiers to Vietnam (total of 125,000)
- 1965-07-30 LBJ signs Medicare bill, which goes into effect in 1966
- 1965-08-06 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act prohibiting voting discrimination against minorities
- 1966-01-12 LBJ says US should stay in South Vietnam until communist aggression ends
- 1966-01-13 1st black selected for presidential cabinet (LBJ selects Robert C Weaver-HUD)
- 1966-07-04 LBJ signs Freedom of Information Act
- 1966-09-09 The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed into law by U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- 1966-09-15 U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson, responding to a sniper attack at the University of Texas at Austin, writes a letter to the United States Congress urging the enactment of gun control legislation.
- 1966-10-15 LBJ signs a bill creating US Department of Transportation
- 1966-11-08 President Lyndon B. Johnson signs anti-trust immunity to AFL-NFL merger
- 1967-06-23 LBJ & Alexei Kosygin hold 1st of 2 summit meetings in Glassboro, NJ
- 1967-07-27 LBJ sets up commission to study cause of urban violence
- 1967-11-07 LBJ signs a bill establishing Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- 1968-03-20 LBJ signs a bill removing gold backing from US paper money
- 1968-03-31 LBJ announces he will not seek re-election
- 1968-04-11 President Lyndon B. Johnson signs 1968 Civil Rights Act
- 1968-10-31 US President Lyndon B. Johnson orders a halt to all bombing of North Vietnam