Full Name: Martin Luther
Profession: Founder of Protestanism
Why Famous: A seminal figure of the 16th-century movement in Christianity known later as the Protestant Reformation, thanks in large part to his Ninety-Five Theses.
His refusal to retract all of his writings at the demand of Pope Leo X in 1520 and the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V at the Diet of Worms in 1521 resulted in his excommunication by the Pope and condemnation as an outlaw by the Emperor.
- 1525-06-13 Martin Luther marries Katharina von Bora, against the celibacy rule decreed by the Roman Catholic Church for priests and nuns.
- 1501-01-14 Martin Luther enters the University of Erfurt, aged 17.
- 1505-07-02 After an encounter with a violent thunderstorm, Martin Luther declares that he will become a monk
- 1505-07-17 Martin Luther enters into an Augustinian monastery at Erfurt
- 1512-10-19 Martin Luther becomes a doctor of theology (Doctor in Biblia)
- 1512-10-21 Martin Luther joins the theological faculty of the University of Wittenberg.
- 1517-10-31 Martin Luther posts 95 theses on Wittenberg church - precipitates the Protestant Reformation
- 1518-10-12 Pontifical ambassador interrogates Martin Luther
- 1519-07-16 Public debate between Martin Luther & theologist John Eck at Pleissenburg Castle in Liepzig, Luther denies the divine right of the Pope
- 1520-12-10 Martin Luther publicly burned papal edict demands he recant
- 1521-01-03 Martin Luther excommunicated by Pope Leo X from the Roman Catholic Church
- 1521-01-28 Emperor Charles V opens the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany which lasts until May 25th. Produced the "Edict of Worms" which dennouced Martin Luther
- 1521-04-16 Martin Luther arrives at the Diet of Worms assembly
- 1521-04-18 Diet of Worms: Cardinal Alexander questions Martin Luther
- 1521-05-08 Parliament of Worms installs edict against Martin Luther
- 1521-05-25 Edict of Worms outlaws Martin Luther & his followers