Full Name: Martin Van Buren
Profession: 8th US President
Political Party: Democratic-Republican, Democra
Political Titles: Vice President, United States Secretary of States, Governor of New York
Why Famous: The eighth President of the United States (1837–1841). Before his presidency, he served as Vice President and as secretary of state under Andrew Jackson. He was the first president not of British or Irish descent, and was also the first president to be born a United States citizen.
His administration was largely characterized by the economic hardship of his time, the Panic of 1837, for which he became a scapegoat.
- 1807-02-21 US President Martin Van Buren (24) weds highschool sweetheart Hannah Hoes (23) in Catskill, New York
- 1836-12-07 Martin Van Buren elected 8th president
- 1837-03-04 Martin Van Buren inaugrated as 8th president
- 1848-06-22 Barnburners (anti-slavery) party nominates Martin Van Buren for President
- 1848-08-09 US Barnburners (anti-slavery) party merges with Free Soil Party nominating Martin Van Buren for president
- 1989-01-04 George H. W. Bush is 1st Vice President since Martin Van Buren to declare himself President of the United States