Full Name: Menachem Begin
Profession: Israeli Prime Minister
Why Famous: Israeli politician, founder of Likud and the sixth Prime Minister of the State of Israel. Before the creation of the state of Israel, he was the leader of the Zionist militant group Irgun, the Revisionist breakaway from the larger Jewish paramilitary organization Haganah. He proclaimed a revolt, on 1 February 1944, against the British mandatory government, which was opposed by the Jewish Agency.
Most significant achievement as Prime Minister was the signing of a peace treaty with Egypt in 1979, for which he and Anwar Sadat shared the Nobel Prize for Peace.
- 1939-05-29 Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin (25) weds Aliza Arnold
- 1946-07-23 Menachem Begin's Zionist militant group Irgun bombs the King David Hotel, the then British administrative headquarters for Palestine
- 1972-04-02 Isreali Prime Minister Menachem Begin visits Cairo
- 1977-05-17 Menachem Begin's Likoed party wins election in Israel
- 1977-05-18 Menachem Begin becomes Prime Minister of Israel
- 1977-06-20 Menachem Begin forms Israeli government
- 1977-06-21 Menachem Begin (Likud) becomes Israel's 6th PM
- 1977-12-25 Israeli PM Menachem Begin meets Egyptian Pres Sadat in Egypt
- 1978-09-22 Israeli PM Menachem Begin returns home after Camp David summit
- 1978-10-26 Menachem Begin & Anwar Sadat named joint winners of 1978 Nobel Peace Prize
- 1978-12-10 In Oslo, Menachem Begin & Anwar Sadat accept 1978 Nobel Peace Prize
- 1979-04-02 Israeli PM Menachem Begin visits Cairo Egypt/meets pres Sadat
- 1982-03-11 Menachem Begin & Anwar Sadat sign peace treaty in Washington, D.C.
- 1982-06-20 Israeli PM Menachem Begin arrives in Washington
- 1983-08-28 Israeli PM Menachem Begin announces his resignation