Full Name: Michael Jackson
Profession: King of Pop
Why Famous: Michael Jackson began his musical career as a child, performing with his brothers in Jackson 5 before going solo in 1971.
Famous for his choreography and music videos Jackson dominated pop music throughout the 1980s. His album "Thriller" became the biggest ever selling album in 1982 and contained such hits as "Billie Jean", "Beat It" and "Thriller". It remains the world's best-selling album, having sold over 65 million copies.
Successful albums "Bad" (1987) and "Dangerous" (1991) followed.
Winner of 13 Grammy awards he died aged 50 of a cardiac arrest in controversial circumstances.
- 1994-05-26 Michael Jackson (35) weds Elvis' daughter Lisa Marie Presley (26) in La Romana, Dominican Republic
- 1996-01-18 Lisa Marie Presley files for divorce from Michael Jackson in NY
- 1996-11-14 King of Pop Michael Jackson (38) weds Debbie Rowe (38) in Sydney, Australia
- 1982-10-29 Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson release "Girl is Mine"
- 1982-12-01 Michael Jackson releases his album "Thriller"
- 1983-02-26 Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album goes #1 & stays #1 for 37 weeks
- 1983-10-03 Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson release "Say, Say, Say" in UK
- 1984-01-16 11th American Music Awards: Pat Benatar and Michael Jackson win
- 1984-01-27 Michael Jackson is burned during filming for Pepsi commercial
- 1984-02-07 Michael Jackson awarded a 4-ft-high platinum disc by CBS
- 1984-02-28 26th Grammy Awards: Michael Jackson wins 8 Grammys
- 1985-01-28 Charity single "We Are the World" is recorded by supergroup USA for Africa (Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie and other pop stars)
- 1985-08-10 Michael Jackson buys ATV Music (every Beatle song) for $47 million
- 1986-09-19 "Captain EO" with Michael Jackson premieres
- 1987-05-29 Michael Jackson attempts to buy Elephant Man's remains
- 1988-03-30 2nd Soul Train Music Awards: Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston win
- 1990-06-07 Michael Jackson hospitalized for chest pains
- 1990-06-09 Michael Jackson is hospitalized with inflamed rib cartilage
- 1991-03-20 Michael Jackson signs $65M 6 album deal with Sony records
- 1991-05-13 "Michael Jackson: Magic & Madness" goes on sale
- 1991-11-14 Michael Jackson's "Black or White" video premieres on FOX TV
- 1991-12-09 2nd Billboard Music Awards: Michael Jackson & Whitney Houston win
- 1993-01-25 20th American Music Awards: Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey win
- 1993-02-10 "Michael Jackson Talks To Oprah Winfrey" airs on ABC & drew an astounding 39.3 rating/56 share, 90 million people
- 1993-03-09 7th Soul Train Music Awards: Michael Jackson, Mary J. Blige win
- 1994-01-25 Accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy, Michael Jackson settles a civil lawsuit out of court
- 1994-09-08 11th MTV Video Music Awards: Aerosmith wins with newlyweds Michael Jackson & Lisa Marie Presley opening the show
- 1995-12-06 Michael Jackson collapses while rehearsing for an HBO special
- 1997-05-06 Michael Jackson & Bee Gees inducted into Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- 2001-10-21 "United We Stand" benefit concert for September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks victims, held at RFK Stadium Washington, D.C. organized and headlined by Michael Jackson and featuring Aerosmith, Mariah Carey and The Backstreet Boys
- 2002-01-09 Michael Jackson receives the Artist of the Century award at the American music awards
- 2005-06-13 A jury in Santa Maria, California acquits pop singer Michael Jackson of molesting 13-year-old Gavin Arvizo at his Neverland Ranch.
- 2009-11-03 23rd Soul Train Music Awards: Michael Jackson, Charlie Wilson & Chaka Khan win
- 2009-11-22 36th American Music Awards: Taylor Swift & Michael Jackson win