Full Name: Michael Moore
Profession: Documentary Filmmaker
Why Famous: Michael Moore began his career as a journalist before a redundancy package provided the capital for his first documentary film "Roger and Me" about the effects of a company downsizing on his native town Flint, in 1989.
A series of influential and hard hitting documentaries followed including; "Bowling for Columbine" on the Columbine school massacre (2002 Academy Award for Documentary Feature) "Fahrenheit 9/11" on the war on terror (Palme d'Or 2004) and "Sicko" about the US health system in 2007. "Fahrenheit 9/11" is the highest-grossing documentary ever, taking of US$200 million.
Moore is also an author of a number of non-fiction books, written on similar topics to those of his films, as well as a TV host and director including "The Awful Truth".
- 1991-10-19 Filmmaker Michael Moore (37) weds movie producer Kathleen Glynn (32)
- 1989-09-01 "Roger and Me", the first documentary directed by Michael Moore, premieres at the Telluride Film Festival
- 1989-09-16 14th Toronto International Film Festival: "Roger & Me" directed by Michael Moore wins the People's Choice Award
- 2002-05-15 "Bowling for Columbine", a documentary directed by Michael Moore has its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival
- 2004-05-22 57th Cannes Film Festival: "Fahrenheit 9/11", directed by Michael Moore wins the Palme d'Or. First documentary to win.
- 2007-05-19 "Sicko" a documentary on the US health care system, directed by Michael Moore has its premiere at the Cannes Film festival.