Full Name: Nathan Bedford Forrest
Profession: Confederate General and KKK Grand Wizard
Why Famous: A lieutenant general in the Confederate Army during the American Civil War. He is remembered both as a self-educated, innovative cavalry leader during the war and as a leading southern advocate in the postwar years.
He served as the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, but later distanced himself from the organization.
- 1845-09-25 Confederate army Nathan Bedford Forrest (24) weds Presbyterian minister's daughter Mary Ann Montgomery (18) in Hernando, Mississippi
- 1862-12-20 Confederate Army Brigadier General Nathan Bedford Forrest occupies Trenton, Kentucky (US Civil War)
- 1863-06-10 Battle of Brice's Crossroads, Miss; Nathan Bedford Forrest w/3500 defeats 8000 Feds
- 1863-11-14 Nathan Bedford Forrest is assigned to command of West Tennessee
- 1864-04-12 Confederate Gen Nathan Bedford Forrest captures Fort Pillow, Tn