Full Name: Nicolaus Copernicus
Profession: Astronomer and Mathematician
Why Famous: Copernicus, as well as an Astronomer was also a mathematician and physician. However it is for the formulation of his Heliocentric theory, where by planets revolved around the sun, that he is most revered.
Copernicus developed this theory throughout his life through study in Poland and Italy, reading of classical works and through his own astrological observations. The later all done with the naked eye. His theory was finally published in 1543, the year of his death as 'Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium'.
- 1497-03-09 Nicolaus Copernicus' 1st recorded astronomical observation
- 1500-11-05 -6th Nov astronomer Copernicus observes a lunar eclipse in Rome
- 1501-07-27 Nicolaus Copernicus formally installed as a canon of Frauenberg Cathedral
- 1514-04-26 Copernicus makes his 1st observations of Saturn
- 1616-03-05 Astronomical work 'de Revolutionibus' by Nicolaus Copernicus placed on Catholic Forbidden index
- 2010-05-22 Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus' remains are reburied in Frombork Cathedral, Poland after a 200 year search for his tomb.,