Full Name: Osama bin Laden [Osama bin Mohammed bin Awad bin Laden]
Nationality: Saudi Arabian
Profession: Islamic Militant & Terrorist
Why Famous: Born into a wealthy Saudi Arabian family bin Laden joined and helped fund mujahideen forces in Afghanistan against the Soviets before founding al-Qaeda in 1988.
Banished by his country he established a base in Sudan before moving to Afghanistan from where he issued a fatwā against the United States.
Attacks by al-Quada that followed included the 1998 US Embassy bombings and September 11 in the US. Killed in 2001 by US special forces and buried at sea.
- 1988-08-11 Al-Qaeda formed at a meeting between Osama Bin Laden, Zawahiri and Dr Fadl in Peshawar, Pakistan
- 1996-08-23 Osama bin Laden issues message entitled "A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places"
- 1998-02-23 Osama bin Laden publishes a fatwa declaring jihad against all Jews and Crusaders.
- 1998-11-20 A court in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan declares accused terrorist Osama bin Laden "a man without a sin" in regard to the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.
- 2002-01-16 The UN Security Council unanimously establishes an arms embargo and the freezing of assets of Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaida, and the remaining members of the Taliban.
- 2004-10-29 Arabic news network, Al Jazeera broadcasts an excerpt from a video of Osama bin Laden in which the terrorist leader first admits direct responsibility for the September 11, 2001 attacks and references the 2004 U.S. presidential election
- 2011-05-02 Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind behind the September 11 attacks and the FBI's most wanted man is killed by United States special forces in Abbottabad, Pakistan.