Full Name: Oscar Wilde
Why Famous: One of London's most popular playwrights in the early 1890s. Now best remembered for his epigrams, his novel 'The Picture of Dorian Gray', his plays, and his imprisonment and early death.
- 1884-05-29 Irish writer Oscar Wilde marries Constance Lloyd at St. James Church, Paddington, London
- 1891-01-26 Oscar Wilde's "Duchess of Padua" premieres in NYC
- 1892-02-22 "Lady Windermere's Fan" by Oscar Wilde premieres at St James Theatre, London
- 1895-01-13 Oscar Wilde's "Ideal Husband" premieres in London
- 1895-02-14 Oscar Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest," opens in London
- 1895-04-05 Oscar Wilde loses libel case against Marquess of Queensberry, who accused him of homosexual practices
- 1895-05-25 Oscar Wilde sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for gross indecency
- 1896-02-11 Oscar Wilde's "Salome" premieres in Paris
- 1897-05-19 Oscar Wilde is released from Reading Gaol.