Full Name: Peter the Great [Pyotr Alexeyevich]
Profession: Russian Tsar
Why Famous: He expanded the Tsardom into a huge empire that became a major European power. He was very interested in ship-building and maritime power.
- 1745-08-21 Future Russian Tsar Peter III marries Ekaterina Alexeievna later Catherine II (Catherine the Great)
- 1696-07-18 Tsar Peter I's fleet occupies Azov at mouth of Don River
- 1698-01-07 Russian Tsar Peter the Great departs Netherlands for England
- 1698-08-18 Russian Tsar Peter the Great arrives in Zaandam
- 1698-08-25 Tsar Peter the Great returns to Moscow after trip through Western Europe
- 1698-09-05 Russian Tsar Peter the Great imposes a tax on beards
- 1699-12-20 Russian Tsar Peter the Great ordered Russian New Year changed from Sept 1 to Jan 1
- 1703-05-27 Saint Petersburg (Leningrad) founded by Russian Tsar Peter the Great
- 1707-09-15 Ferenc Rákóczi II, Prince of Transylvania and Tsar Peter the Great sign social security agreement
- 1709-06-27 Peter the Great of Russia defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava.
- 1710-01-27 Tsar Peter the Great sets first Russian state budget
- 1711-08-01 Surrounded Tsar Peter the Great flees Azov
- 1716-11-03 Pacification Treaty of Warsaw: Tsar Peter the Great guarantees Saxon monarch August I's Polish kingdom
- 1721-01-25 Tsar Peter the Great ends Russian-orthodox patriarchy
- 1721-10-22 Tsar Peter the Great becomes "All-Russian Imperator"
- 1722-01-24 Tsar Peter the Great begins civil system
- 1722-04-06 Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia, ends tax on men with beards
- 1724-01-28 The Russian Academy of Sciences was founded in St. Petersburg by Peter the Great, and implemented in the Senate decree. It was called St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences until 1917.