Full Name: Philip II
Profession: King of Spain
Why Famous: During Philip II's reign, Spain reached the height of its influence and power often referred to as Spain's Golden Age.
The expression, "the empire on which the sun never sets," was coined during his reign to reflect the extent of his dominion which stretched from Europe, to the Americas and Asia.
From 1554 he was also the King of Naples and Sicily as well as the Duke of Milan. During his marriage to Queen Mary I (1554–58), he also became the King of England and Ireland.
- 1560-01-31 Spanish king Philip II marries Elisabeth van Valois
- 1555-10-25 Emperor Karel puts son Philip II in charge of Netherlands/Naples/Milan
- 1556-01-16 Emperor Karel appoints his son Philip II, king of Spain
- 1556-02-05 Kings Henri I & Philip II sign Treaty of Vaucelles
- 1556-03-28 Karel V's son Philip II crowned king of Spain
- 1556-11-23 King Philip II confers with Dutch financial experts
- 1560-09-25 Spanish king Philip II names Frederik Schenck of Toutenburg as 1st archbishop of Utrecht
- 1561-09-23 King Philip II of Spain forbids Spanish settlements in Florida
- 1563-03-11 League of High Nobles routes 2nd protest against King Philip II
- 1563-07-29 League of High Nobles routes King Philip II
- 1564-02-21 Philip II routes cardinal Granvelle to Franche-Comte
- 1564-08-18 Spanish king Philip II joins Council of Trente
- 1565-11-13 King Philip II's "Letters out Segovia" reaches Brussels
- 1566-12-01 Spanish king Philip II names Fernando Alvarez, duke of Alva
- 1569-02-07 King Philip II forms Inquisition in South America
- 1570-03-04 King Philip II bans foreign Dutch students
- 1579-07-29 King Philip II arrests plotters Antonio Perez & princess van Eboli
- 1580-03-15 Spanish king Philip II puts 25,000 gold coins on head of prince Willem of Orange
- 1581-03-25 Portuguese Cortes calls Philip II king of Portugal
- 1581-04-01 Portuguese Cortes subjects himself on Philip II
- 1581-04-15 Cortes van Thomar accepts Philip II as king of Portugal
- 1590-07-19 King Philip II's secretary Antonio Perez escapes jail
- 1594-06-11 Philip II recognized the rights and privileges of the local nobles and chieftains in the Philippines, which paves way to the creation of the Principalía (i.e., elite ruling class of native nobility in Spanish Philippines).
- 1595-05-02 King Philip II names Albrecht of Austria land guardian of Netherlands
- 1596-11-29 King Philip II devalues Spanish currency
- 1598-06-30 King Philip II moves to Escorial palace
- 1598-09-01 Spanish king Philip II receives sacraments