Full Name: Francis [Jorge Mario Bergoglio]
Why Famous: The current pope of the Roman Catholic Church.
Francis has been noted for his humility, his concern for the poor, and his commitment to dialogue as a way to build bridges between people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and faiths.
He has bought a simpler and less formal approach to the papacy and helped return it's focus to social justice and away from identity politics.
Thus while maintaining the Church's teaching against homosexual acts and abortion, he has stated that gay people should not be marginalized and allowed priests to absolve women of the "sin" of abortion.
- 2013-03-13 Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio is elected the new pope, taking the papal name Pope Francis
- 2013-03-17 Pope Francis delivers his first Angelus prayer and blessing
- 2013-03-28 Pope Francis becomes the first Pope to wash the feet of women in the Maundy Thursday service
- 2013-05-12 Pope Francis canonizes the 813 martyrs of Otranto as Saints
- 2013-05-16 Pope Francis calls for ethical financial reform to fight speculation
- 2013-12-06 Pope Francis gives his ascent to a proposal to create a permanent post on the Pontifical Commission on cases of sin and sexual abuse of minors
- 2013-12-11 Pope Francis is named Time magazine's person of the year
- 2014-02-24 Pope Francis creates a second Secretariat with the power to audit any Vatican agency at any time
- 2015-06-18 Pope Francis blames human selfishness for global warming in his encyclical, named "Laudato Si (Be Praised), On the Care of Our Common Home"
- 2015-09-01 Pope Francis tells priests to pardon women who have had an abortion, in a letter released by the Vatican
- 2015-09-08 Pope Francis announces moves to streamline the annulment process within the Catholic Church
- 2015-09-20 Pope Francis meets Fidel Castro in Havana, on the 1st day of his tour of Cuba
- 2015-09-22 Pope Francis is greeted by President Obama and Vice President Biden as he arrives for his 6 day tour of the US
- 2015-09-24 Pope Francis becomes the 1st pope to address the US Congress. Names Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Thomas Merton and Dorothy Day as his American heroes.