Full Name: Elizabeth I
Profession: Queen of England and Ireland
Why Famous: Daughter of Henry VIII and the last of the Tudor monarchs, Elizabeth I ruled England and Ireland from 1558 till her death in 1603.
After the upheavals of previous reigns, hers was marked by prosperity and stability. The so called Elizabethan era was famous for its playwrights (Shakespeare) and exploration (Drake).
Her navy also won a famous victory against the Spanish Armada.
- 1558-11-17 Elizabeth I aged 25 ascends English throne upon death of her half sister Queen "Bloody" Mary
- 1559-01-15 Elizabeth I crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey
- 1568-05-19 English Queen Elizabeth I arrests Mary, Queen of Scots
- 1569-10-01 Duke of Norfolk arrested by Queen Elizabeth I for conspiring to marry Mary Queen of Scots
- 1570-02-25 Pius V excommunicates Queen Elizabeth I of England and absolves her subjects from allegiance to the crown
- 1571-01-23 Queen Elizabeth I of England opens Royal Exchange in London
- 1575-01-22 English queen Elizabeth I grants Thomas Tallis & William Byrd music press monopoly
- 1578-03-10 Queen Elizabeth I of England gives Johan Casimir £20,000 to aid Dutch rebellion
- 1579-08-17 Francois of Anjou visits English Queen Elizabeth I
- 1581-04-04 Francis Drake knighted by Queen Elizabeth I aboard Golden Hind at Deptford
- 1585-07-17 English secret service discovers Anthony Babington's murder plot against Queen Elizabeth I
- 1585-08-10 English Queen Elizabeth I signs Treaty of Nonsuch: Aid for Netherlands
- 1585-08-14 Queen Elizabeth I of England refuses sovereignty of Netherlands
- 1597-04-23 William Shakespeare's "The Merry Wives of Windsor" is first performed, with Queen Elizabeth I of England in attendance