Full Name: Richard Wagner [Wilhelm Richard Wagner]
Why Famous: Primarily known for his operas. Unlike most opera composers, he wrote both the libretto and the music for each of his stage works. His life was characterised by political exile, turbulent love affairs, poverty and repeated flight from his creditors.
- 1870-08-25 German composer Richard Wagner (57) weds Franz Liszt's daughter Cosima Liszt (32) at a Protestant church in Lucerne, Switzerland
- 1845-10-19 Richard Wagner's opera "Tannhäuser" premieres in Dresden
- 1850-08-28 Richard Wagner's opera "Lohengrin" premieres at Weimar, Germany
- 1869-09-22 Richard Wagner's opera "Rhine Gold" premieres in Munich
- 1876-08-13 The Bayreuth Festspielhaus opens with the first complete performance of Richard Wagner's Ring Cycle
- 1882-01-13 Richard Wagner completes his opera "Parsifal"
- 1882-07-28 Richard Wagner's opera "Parsifal" premieres in Beirut