Full Name: Robert E. Lee
Profession: Confederate General
Why Famous: Lee is largely regarded as the great military hero of the Confederate cause during the US Civil War.
He first came to prominence in the American-Mexican war (1846-48) In 1861 he refused an offer from to command a US army, resigning days later and taking up a command of Virginian forces on the Confederate side.
By 1862 he was Commander of the Army of North Virginia driving back Union forces after the Seven Days Battles and later winning the Second Battle of Bull Run and battles at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Lee made a strategic error invading the North in 1863 and there were heavy Confederate losses at the Battle of Gettysburg.
During the Siege of Petersburg, Lee was appointed general-in-chief of Confederate forces but diminished manpower and resources led to Confederate surrender in April 1865 at Appomattox in Virginia.
After the war Lee supported the Plan of reconstruction and civil rights but not emancipation for blacks.
- 1831-06-30 Soldier and future Confederate General Robert E. Lee (24) marries Mary Custis (22) at Arlington House, Arlington Virginia
- 1861-04-18 Colonel Robert E. Lee turns down offer to command Union armies (US Civil War)
- 1861-04-23 Robert E. Lee named commander of Virginia Confederate forces (US Civil War)
- 1862-06-01 General Robert E. Lee assumes command after Joe Johnston is injured at Seven Pines
- 1862-06-02 Robert E. Lee takes command of Confederate armies of North Virgin during US Civil War
- 1862-08-18 General Lee's adjutant Major Stuart captured
- 1862-09-04 General Lee invades the North with 50,000 Confederate troops during US Civil war
- 1862-09-05 General Lee crosses Potomac & enters Maryland
- 1862-09-09 Robert E. Lee splits his army & sends Jackson to capture Harpers Ferry
- 1863-07-04 General Lee's army withdraws from Gettysburg
- 1864-05-04 General Ulysses S. Grant's Union Army at Potomac attacks Robert E. Lee's Confederates at Rappahannock River
- 1864-06-03 General Robert E. Lee wins his last victory of Civil War at Battle of Cold Harbor
- 1864-06-15 Robert E. Lee's home area (Arlington, VA) becomes a military cemetery
- 1865-01-31 General Robert E. Lee named Commander-in-Chief of Confederate Armies during US Civil War
- 1865-02-04 Robert E. Lee is named general-in-chief of Confederate forces
- 1865-04-09 US Civil War: Confederate General Robert E. Lee and 26,765 troops surrender at Appomattox Court House to US Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant
- 1865-04-10 At Appomattox, General Robert E. Lee issues Gen Order #9, his last
- 1975-07-22 US House of Representives votes to restore citizenship to General Robert E. Lee