Full Name: Rutherford B. Hayes
Profession: 19th US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Governor of Ohio
Why Famous: The 19th President of the United States (1877–1881), he oversaw the end of Reconstruction, began the efforts that led to civil service reform, and attempted to reconcile the divisions left over from the Civil War and Reconstruction.
He believed in meritocratic government, equal treatment without regard to race, and improvement through education.
- 1852-12-30 Future US President Rutherford B. Hayes (30) weds teetotaler and abolitionist Lucy Webb (21)
- 1876-06-11 Republicans pick Rutherford B. Hayes as US presidental candidate
- 1876-11-07 President Rutherford B. Hayes & Samuel J Tilden claim presidential victory Tilden (D) wins election but Electoral college selects Hayes (R)
- 1877-03-02 Rutherford B. Hayes (R) declared president despite Samuel J Tilden (D) winning the popular vote, but is 1 electoral vote shy of victory
- 1877-03-03 Rutherford Birchard Hayes is sworn in as the 19th US president
- 1877-03-05 Rutherford B. Hayes inaugurated as 19th US president