Full Name: Rutherford B. Hayes
Profession: 19th US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Governor of Ohio
Why Famous: The 19th President of the United States (1877–1881), he oversaw the end of Reconstruction, began the efforts that led to civil service reform, and attempted to reconcile the divisions left over from the Civil War and Reconstruction.
He believed in meritocratic government, equal treatment without regard to race, and improvement through education.
- 1852-12-30 Future US President Rutherford B. Hayes (30) weds teetotaler and abolitionist Lucy Webb (21)
- 1876-06-11 Republicans pick Rutherford B. Hayes as US presidental candidate
- 1876-11-07 President Rutherford B. Hayes and Samuel J. Tilden claim presidential victory as Tilden (D) wins election but Electoral college selects Hayes (R)
- 1876-12-06 US Electoral College picks Rutherford B. Hayes as President, despite Samuel J. Tilden winning more votes
- 1877-01-25 Congress determines presidential election between Rutherford B. Hayes and Samuel J. Tilden
- 1877-02-27 US Electoral College declares Rutherford B. Hayes winner of the presidential election
- 1877-03-02 Rutherford B. Hayes (R) declared president despite Samuel J. Tilden (D) winning the popular vote, but is 1 electoral vote shy of victory
- 1877-03-03 Rutherford B. Hayes is sworn in as the 19th US president
- 1877-03-05 Rutherford B. Hayes inaugurated as 19th US president
- 1877-03-18 US President Rutherford B. Hayes appoints Frederick Douglass marshal of Washington, D.C.
- 1877-04-27 Rutherford B. Hayes removes Federal troops from LA, Reconstruction ends
- 1880-09-09 Rutherford B. Hayes visits San Franicsco