Full Name: Saladin [Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb]
Profession: 1st Sultan of Egypt and Syria
Why Famous: First Sultan of Egypt and Syria and the founder of the Ayyubid dynasty.
A Muslim of Kurdish origin, he led the Muslim opposition to the European Crusaders in the Levant.
At the height of his power, his sultanate included Egypt, Syria, Mesopotamia, Hejaz, Yemen, and other parts of North Africa.
- 1176-05-22 Murder attempt by "Assassins" on Saladin near Aleppo
- 1177-11-25 Baldwin IV of Jerusalem and Raynald of Chatillon defeat Saladin at the Battle of Montgisard.
- 1187-07-03 Battle of Horns of Hattin: Saladin, Sultan of Egypt and Syria, destroys Jerusalem's crusader army
- 1187-07-04 Battle of Hittin (Tiberias): Saladin defeats Reinoud of Châtillon
- 1187-09-20 Saladin begins the Siege of Jerusalem.
- 1187-10-02 Sultan Saladin captures Jerusalem from Crusaders
- 1191-09-07 Third Crusade: Battle of Arsuf - Richard I of England defeats Saladin at Arsuf.
- 1192-09-02 Sultan Saladin and King Richard the Lionheart of England sign treaty over Jerusalem, at end of the Third Crusade