Full Name: Suharto [Mohamed Suharto]
Profession: 2nd President of Indonesia
Why Famous: The Second President of Indonesia, Suharto held office for 31 years from 1967 until 1998.
Suharto's legacy is much debated both in Indonesia and abroad.
Under his "New Order" administration, he constructed a strong, centralized and military-dominated government, which helped Indonesia experience significant economic growth and industrialization, dramatically improving health, education and living standards.
His administration however was also known for its corruption.
- 1947-12-26 President of Indonesia Suharto (26) weds Siti Hartinah (24) in Surakarta at a traditional Javanese ceremony
- 1965-03-11 Indonesia President Sukarno accepts qualifications of Suharto
- 1966-03-11 Military coup led by Indonesian Gen Suharto breaks out
- 1966-03-18 General Suharto forms government in Indonesia
- 1967-03-12 Indonesian congress strips president Sukarno of authority and names General Suharto as acting President
- 1968-03-27 Suharto officially succeeds Sukarno as president of Indonesia
- 1970-09-03 Indonesian president Suharto visits Netherlands
- 1976-07-17 Indonesian president Suharto annexes East Timor
- 1998-05-21 Indonesian president Suharto resigns after 31 years in power