Full Name: Thomas E. Dewey
Profession: Governor of New York
Why Famous: The 47th Governor of New York (1943–1954).
In 1944 and 1948 he was the Republican candidate for President, losing to President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Harry S. Truman respectively.
- 1928-06-16 New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey (26) weds stage actress Frances Eileen Hutt
- 1944-11-07 US President FDR wins 4th term in office, defeating Thomas E. Dewey (R)
- 1946-01-03 As a reward for his wartime cooperation, Governor Thomas E. Dewey commutes Charles "Lucky" Luciano's pandering sentence on condition that he does not resist deportation to Italy
- 1948-06-24 Republican National Convention in Philadelphia nominates NY gov Thomas E. Dewey
- 1948-11-02 US President Harry Truman re-elected in an upset over Republican Thomas E. Dewey